Consultation on local 2016 Community Infrastructure Levy funding applications Cobham

 For the settlements of Cobham, Oxshott, Stoke D'Abernon and Downside  £160,000 is available to allocate to local infrastructure projects.  Legislation states that these funds must be spent on projects that meet the following criteria.
  • The provision, improvement, replacement, operation or maintenance of infrastructure; or
  • Anything else that is concerned with addressing the demands that development places on an area. 

The definition of infrastructure is broad and includes roads and other transport infrastructure, flood defences, schools and other educational facilities, medical facilities, sporting and recreation facilities, open spaces.

 There are 5 applications for CIL funds, totalling £77,496: 

  1. Improvements to the public footpaths in Cobham. CIL funding of £3,857 has been requested to carry out improvements to public footpath 58 which links Hogsmill Lane to Leigh Hill and footpath 61 linking to Stoke Road. These have been identified as priority routes for local residents for access to schools and social activities. A similar amount of funding has been committed by the Cobham Conservation and Heritage Trust to the project.
  2. Creation of year round outdoor play space for sports and play at Cobham Free School Junior site. The request for £17,280 is for 80% of the project costs with the school able to fund the remaining 20% from capital budgets. The school currently has to use the public recreation grounds opposite the school for sports provision. As an expanding school with limited outdoor space, having a secure play area on the school site would provide a safer and more practical environment for pupils and reduce the use of the public amenitites.  Funding has been requested from the Education Funding Agency but funding is not available for the work at this point in time.
  3. Funding for the Cobham Community Bus (Chatterbus). CIl funding of £15,000 has been requested towards the service. The service has been in operation for 9 months and connects Cobham to the train station, Oxshott, Stoke D'Abernon and Downside and all areas with Brooklands Retail Park, Weybridge station and town centre. Passenger numbers and revenues have been expanding steadily but a level of ongoing funding is required. Surrey County Council has committed financial support to the project and advertising revenue and support from businesses is also being sought.
  4. Provision of additional playground space, outdoor learning space, secure fencing and  storage provision at St Matthew's C of E Infant School Downside. Increased numbers on role at St Matthews have necessitated the provision of additional classroom space but it is currently difficult to adequately meet the children's needs for space at playtime and in PE lessons. The construction of an additional classroom has stretched the school's budget and further funding is not available from the local authority or Diocese.  CIL funding of £33,359 has been requested, with £2,000 committed to the project from the PTA
  5. Provision of a Health Monitor at Cobham Health Centre. The automated self-service machine aims to help improve the health of the local population and meet the increasing demands on the Health Centre by enabling the public to measure blood pressure, pulse rate and Body Mass Index and automatically transfer results to medical records. The Surrey Downs Clinical Commissioning Group is supportive of the approach to assist in increasing diagnosis rates for a number of chronic diseases allowing pre-emptive action to be taken. CIL funding of £8,000 is requested as NHS funding is not available in the current financial climate.

 

Please let us know your views on these projects below. Please provide an answer to all questions. To submit a response, please click on save these answers.